The kind of preparation needed for writing a picture book includes many different types of research. Even fiction writing has to include information that is believable. Here are the research tips I use:
* Research and read books similar to the type you are interested in writing.
* Research the authors who wrote books with themes similar to what you want
* Research the publishers who publish the type of book you want to write.
* Research the editors who work in those publishing houses, peruse each of
the publisher’s websites for staff information since editors change.
* Research individual publisher submission guidelines. Follow them exactly.
The number of words, the format, etc. matter. Some do not accept
unsolicited manuscripts, another may require an exclusive submission.
* Research how to write a query letter and read examples.
* Research the setting, physical description and behavior of characters you
plan to include to add to authenticity to your story.
Be prepared. Submit your best work to the right publisher in the correct way. Preparation, via research, is key to the success of becoming published.