Summer Squash Casserole
Whatcha gonna do with all that summer squash? Here’s a yummy idea. NOM-NOM-NOM!
SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE
- 4 cups squash (about 2 large squash), sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 Vidalia onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 sleeve of butter crackers (Ritz, Townhouse, etc.), crushed
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Parmesan, shredded
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and grease a baking dish.
- Sauté onions 2-3 minutes in olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the squash, ¼ cup water, cover and steam ~5 minutes until squash is tender.
Dry mix for the topping:
- Put crushed crackers in a large bowl with cheese, toss.
- Set aside half of the cracker-cheese mix in another bowl.
Dry + wet mix:
- In the large bowl, stir in milk, beaten eggs and melted butter.
- Add in steamed squash and onion. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into a greased baking dish.
- Top with ½ of the dry cracker mix and then with softened butter.
- Bake about 25-30 minutes until top is lightly browned.