Author Visits: Mardi Gras 2016
School visits are a wonderful way for authors to share their passion for literacy and share the joys of living a creative life. This baby ran all over New Orleans, over the Mississippi River, and across the Twin Span Bridge! I am very fortunate to have met wonderful faculty and great students during each visit.
The kids and I had a blast reading The King Cake Baby and singing 12 Days of Carnival. My song is all about New Orleans food. And what food tops the Mardi Gras food pyramid? King Cake!
I had a blast and passed a good time visiting the following schools:
- St. Pius X Catholic School, New Orleans
- Terrytown Elementary School, Jefferson Parish Schools
- Akili Academy, New Orleans
- Abney Elementary School, Slidell
- Westpark Montessori Magnet School
- Homer A. Plessy Community School, New Orleans
- St. Michael’s Special School, New Orleans
I also attended my first King Cake Festival, a benefit for Ochsner Pediatrics! And I ate lots and lots of King Cake! Maurice French Pastries won the People’s Choice Award for the second year. Delicious. Félicitations!
I am so fortunate to participate in this wonderful tradition and be a part of a very unique culture. And it’s celebrated year after year! Can’t wait till January 6th to kick off Carnival 2017. Mardi Gras Day is February 28, 2017. Who’s counting? ME, Baby!