Easy Peasy Crescent Roll King Cake
This year I’m sharing an easy peasy crescent rolls king cake recipe.
When it was time to make a king cake this year, I couldn’t find Pillsbury Dough Sheets, so this was an opportunity to figure out how to make a king cake with crescent rolls. The stores said they had the inventory, but not enough employees to keep the shelves stocked. YIKES. It takes a little more skill, but it’s still easy peasy!
- 2 cans Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
- cinnamon sugar mix: ½ c. granulated sugar + 2 tbsp cinnamon
- plastic king cake baby (to hide inside, of course!)
- purple, green, & gold sugar sprinkles
- 1 can Pillsbury Cream Cheese Icing or make your own
- Pre-heat oven to 375 °F (190 °C).
- Grease a pizza pan or cover with parchment paper. (Easily transfers to a serving dish using parchment paper.)
- Mix the cinnamon and sugar.
- Unroll one can of crescent rolls and separate into 8 triangles. Arrange the triangles, slightly overlapping all sides into a half circle with tips pointed toward the center.
5. Finish the circle by laying the triangles from the second can.
6. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mix around the middle of the dough.
7. Pull the narrow part of the triangle from the center toward the widest part.
8. Pull the widest part of the triangle from the end toward the center.
9. Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown.
10. While the cake is in the oven, read THE KING CAKE BABY. Don’t let your baby run away!
Decorate the King Cake
1. Soften ½ can of Pillsbury Cream Cheese icing or make a cream cheese icing using the recipe below.
Cream cheese icing:
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 4oz cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk
2. Hide one plastic king cake baby in the cake’s underside.
3. While the cake is still warm, pour icing on top.
4. Top with sugar sprinkles, alternating purple, green colors.
5. Before eating, check your piece to see if you got the baby!
And check out my post on how to host an Easy Peasy King Cake Party with pictures.